Sunday, March 23, 2008

22 Mar 2008

The day started off bleak, I got stood up at the ramp. It's rare, but it happens. I went home on an awesome fishing day and commenced my domestic chores, not happy about it, but oh well, it's got to get done. Around 1300, I got a call from Adam, looking for an afternoon charter. I dropped the laundry like a bad habit and got my stuff together in time to realize my wife was gone and the kids were home! A quick call back to Adam to ask for a short extension until she got home. When she walked in the door, I almost knocked her over going out! Adam and his wife, Barby, met me at Shoreline at @ 1500, and off we went.

The bite was again very light, and the Sheepshead made fools of us. After nearly an hour of losing bait after bait and boating a small Grouper and a couple of Pigfish I decided that maybe we needed a different target species. We switched tactics and sought redder pastures. The bite didn't improve much, at first. Then Adams rod, loaded with 12lb, bent hard. The fish neared the surface and it was RED, too red! As the 5lb snapper cleared the rail, Adam exclaimed "Woohoo! We got dinner!". Me: "Well..."
Adam: "What's it not big enough?"
Me: "Oh he's plenty big..."
Adam: "So?"
Me: "'bout three weeks outta season"
Adam: "You're kidding!"
Me: "Wish I was."
We got a nice pic and sent the fish on his way.


Once Adam recovered from his broken heart we reset and it was Barby's turn. I wasn't sure at first if she was hung or not, then line just started pouring off the spool. Definitely NOT hung! Barby did a great job up against such a tough fish and 15 min later a huge redfish comes out from under the boat. Adam is floored and again announces "Great job hon, you got us dinner!"
Me: "Well..."
Adam: "What is it this time?"
Me: "You're really not going to like this"
Adam: "What?"
Me: "He's too big"
Adam: "What do you mean TOO BIG?"


I explained our slot regulations, took a couple of pics of Barby with her trophy Redfish, vented the fish and returned it to fight again another day.


The sun had faded beyond the horizon and we followed the stars home shortly after.

Thanks again Adam and Barby for turning my day around and sharing the sunset fun.

No comments: