Friday, November 14, 2008

14 Nov 2008

Met up with Wyatt, Eric, and Vaughn this morning at Galvez Landing at 0630. These guys were interested in Redfish...Big Redfish. Our first order of business was bait; I caught a dozen Pinfish before we left, but that wouldn't be enough, so we stopped to add a few White Trout to the live-well.

The White Trout bite was excellent! We kept 12 for dinner and 20 for bait. (Of the more than 50 fish we landed in the 45 minutes we stayed) What a blast! With the bait secured, we moved to the Pass to try the deep water Redfish bite.

Score a double header on the first drift! Vaughn and Eric both boat nice Reds and I reach for my camera for the photo op. Turn it on, look through the view finder and see NO MEMORY CARD FOUND blaring on the screen. So much for that idea! Two more drifts produce three Redfish, two of which were in the slot, and a Sail Cat that had to weigh 6 lbs. By now it's 0900 and already it's been a great morning. I suggest we run the Gulf side beach and look for Pompano, the guys agree.

As we're exiting the Pass, Wyatt points out the birds diving near Pickins Point. I look over and see a wave of Bull Redfish pushing a school of Pogies. I turn the boat and head us over. What follows is best summed up by Vaughn, as he's standing there in awe, right after releasing a big red, "WOW! I just saw a thousand fish swimming right at me! That was awesome! I've never seen anything like it." ...Yeah, that's a pretty accurate depiction.

Throwing bucktail jigs and swim baits, we released probably 20 fish in the next hour and fifteen minutes. I even got to catch one, on 8#, that was cool! I just wish I had a memory card. We had fish swimming around the boat numerous times. I don't know how to properly explain what we saw; again, Vaughn's quote can't be beat.


By 1030 we were ready to call it a day, head back, clean fish, and get a nap. Thanks again Wyatt, Eric, and Vaughn, it was a pleasure.



Hey you sitting at the computer. Get out there and FISH!

No comments: