Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mothers Day 2009

Sunday marked our annual Mothers Day fishing trip. My parents, my wife, and I met up this morning for a few quality hours of fishing. We started today in the same spot our slot sized Redfish came from yesterday. Boy what a difference a day makes! Yesterday it was a fish every cast, today we couldn't buy a bite. After an hour or so of trying we decided to move on to the Pass in search of Bull Reds. With the family on board the fish didn't stand a chance. Everyone on board boated a Redfish, the largest one pushing 40".



We caught the Redfish, a Sheepshead and a Soapfish before heading into the Gulf for Pompano. The beach was loaded with Cow-nose Rays, we must have seen 100 or more, but the Pompano were proving elusive. We found school after school of Ladyfish chasing baits just inside the second sandbar and we had a field day with them. In the midst of all this a school of Jack Crevalle, 200+ fish, came roaring by. A quick flip into them with a jig produced an immediate hook up. We fought the Jack all he way to the boat before another burst of speed parted our line. The morning was wearing on and our bellies began rumbling. We scheduled a Mothers Day lunch at the Oar House and headed there to meet my sister and my kids.


My parents decided to go for a round of golf after lunch, so my wife and kids rode the boat back to the ramp. As soon as my son was inboard he opened the livewell, found the 4 shrimp remaining, and asked if we could stop and use them on the way home. How could I refuse such a request?

A quick stop in the Pass produced fish for both Cameron and I (his fish was twice the size of mine). We got our picture made, released our fish and continued on to the house for naps and relaxation.


Thanks to my Mom, just for being my Mom, and thanks to my wife for bearing me children and putting up with all of my crap. I love you guys. It was awesome to spend the day fishing together.

No comments: