Monday, May 7, 2007

29 April 2007

After a wonderful prime rib breakfast, my host, Tim Scribner, and I went for the COOLEST of sunday drives. The garage door opened to a 1929 Ford Model A, and with wide smiles Tim and I got inside, headed to "Uncle Oscars".
It's difficult to describe the feeling you get riding down winding country roads, wind on your face, and feet on warm steel floor boards. Seeing people tending garden stop to lean on their hoe or pitchfork and watch the nostalgic scene of the '29 driving by early on a sunday afternoon.












We arrived at uncle Oscars to find we forgot our wading shoes back at the house. Tom Sawyer , as Scrib puts it, we go. Shoeless in a creek isn't exactly the first place that comes to mind when I think about fishing, but that's where I found myself today. Tackle-O-The Day consisted of an ultra-light rod and reel spooled with 6# test tied directly to an inline spinner-bait. Slipping on rocks was a common occurance for me as Tim razed me for being a "Tenderfooted Floridian". I must point out that I NEVER fell into the creek, I came close multiple times but was always able to keep my tender feet under me. Smallmouth Bass were our target species for the day, although I was early for them again this year as I was last year.

















We managed to land 4 or 5 nice Red-Eyes and another handful of Creek Shad, but never a smallmouth did we see.

















The fishing really didn't matter to me, I would of been happy just laying under a tree next to the kind of cars around when my grand father was a young man. I wish I could express to you how that sunday drive affected me, how it made me reflect on everything I have, and how things have changed in the last 80 years. How my grandparents must have felt riding around in a car, just like this one, on a day as peaceful and serene as this, on some sunday afternoon.


No comments: