Monday, June 16, 2008

15 Jun 2008

I arrived at Galvez Landing at 0620 to find it full of emergency vehicles, including Life Flight. The helicopter was taking off as I tried to turn into the parking lot. The emergengy crews were really nice and moved the ambulance and the fire truck to let me through as soon as the scene was safe. Ben, his son Kevin, Jim and Bob showed up a few minutes later, as the fire engine was leaving, wondering what was going on. I gave them a brief recap, launched the boat, and we were underway, only a few minutes late.

First order of business...get bait. I'd set traps on friday for todays trip, and picked them up this morning (for a total of 3 dozen or so nice Pinfish). We proceeded out of the pass and headed straight for the bait boat to get some live Cigar Minnows.

Around this time Jim asks "Is this a dolphin cruise or are we going to fish?"
I respond "When we're ready, we'll fish, and what, you don't like dolphins?"

I've fished with Ben and Jim a lot, and were constantly messing with each other...all in good fun. Check out some of our other adventures 11/17/07,7/20/07,05/27/07

We run from the bait boat to the Sea Bouy and I set out 2 live Cigs. I barely had time to get the 2nd rod in the holder when the first bait got eaten. Kevin was hooked into a nice King on 12lb, and was loving every minute of it. I proudly announce that the dolphin cruise portion of the morning was over and now the fishing would commence.

We continued slow trolling livies for a little over an hour; toward the nearshore public reef we were fishing yesterday. We boated one more nice King, pulled the hooks on 2 more, and had a few baits mangled. The action slowed so we polished of the remaining miles running. Once we got to our spot we baited up with Pinfish and fired away. Kevin was the first to connect, with a nice Amberjack (on a Trout rod).



Baits were lost, a few fish made it to the wreck, we got another AJ to the boat, then Bob had a tug-of-war with the fish of the day, or should I say dinner of the night. A beautiful 10lb Gag Grouper.


A nice Lane Snapper was added to our tally just as the wind was picking up from the NE and the clock was winding down...it was time to go.

Back at the ramp I cleaned fish and we said good-bye, until next time (which for Ben and I is this comming Friday)

Thanks again guys, there's never a dull moment around you.

No comments: